Tuesday, July 7, 2009

discovery channel


Tuesday, July 07, 2009
2:46 AM

I find myself once again wide awake, flipping channels in the middle of the night. I re-arrange my pillows for the 100th time and slowly start at channel 98, hoping for some 'Entourage' on HBO. Disappointed. As I go down the channels, I briefly glance at VH1, then Bravo, then Comedy Central, then Cartoon Network. Down to channel 43 and still nothing. People who invented paid programming clearly did not account for us, insomniacs. I hit channel 34 and freeze: Discovery, Myth Busters, 2008 re-run, "Blind Driving".

Jamie and Adam make the blind driving seem effortless, once you and your co-pilot develop a good enough technique to follow the road together. What if not all of us have good co-pilots? Should we not trust those who guide us? Are we bound to crash eventually? I don't know.

I've been driving blind for some time now. Ever since the countless nights of falling asleep in your arms to the soothing sound of Discovery Channel ended , I've been hitting fences and curves (metaphorically speaking that is… for the most part anyways). Directions I get seem inaccurate; techniques we come up with seem to fail; communication and trust seem to be lacking.

Your voice is slowly fading away; the memory of your arms is almost gone; my heart is barely beating; I close my eyes, catch my breath and hit a cement block going 100mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment